This is a recipe of a very low in calories and fat sponge cake. I will have approximately 240 KCal/100g or 120 KCal per decent portion. It is an adaptation of the recipe I found at bbc good food web site. The cake does not have any fat at all and uses a light sweetener (red canderel) instead of sugar. It also has very little flour. It is very easy to make, about 20 minutes relaxed preparation and 20 to 30 minutes baking.
For the dough
- 4 Medium eggs (300 KCal)
- 50g plain flour (167 KCal)
- 40g corn flour (136 KCal)
- 1 heaped teaspoon of baking powder
- 17g red canderel powder (68 KCal)
(You can use normal sugar, if you like, but 170g have 680KCal)
- Zest from one lemon or half orange
- A teaspoon of liquid vanilla essence or a portion of vanilla powder
- Tiny bit of oil or butter for greasing the baking pan
For the filling
- 100g of light cream cheese (150KCal)
- 100g of Marmalade or Jam, any taste you like.
I use St Dalfour – Rapshodie de Fruit that is a fruit spread without added sugar
For the icing
- 1 tsp of icing sugar
You will need
- Egg beater, preferably electric
- 20cm or 7.5″ baking pan.
- Greaseproof paper (very good to have)
- Large bowl to beat the egg whites
- Medium bowl for the egg yolks
- A small bowl for the flours
- A small bowl for the sugar
- Put the greaseproof paper in the baking pan and grease it with a tiny bit of oil. Don’t
forget the walls. Then start preheating the oven, at 180C. It is good to have the oven ready as soon as your dough is ready.
- Prepare and weight the ingredients
- Sieve all the flours and baking powder into one bowl.
- Weight the sugar into another bowl
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites
- Whisk the egg whites until the become stiff but not too solid. Look at the picture at the bottom of the recipe
- Add the sugar in the egg whites and whisk for a few more seconds until it is mixed
- Add the lemon or orange zest and vanilla into the egg yolks and whisk them for about a minute
- Pour the egg yolks into the egg whites and mix well with the egg beater
- Finally, add the flours & baking powder into mix into the main mix and stir with a large spoon until everything is mixed
- Pour the mix into the baking pan and flatten the top
- Put it in the oven for about 20 minutes or until it takes the colour in the picture at the bottom of the recipe
- When done, take the cake from the oven and leave to cool at least 15 minutes
- Take it out with the greaseproof paper and then carefully remove it
Filling the cake
- Mix the cream cheese with the jam in a bowl using a spoon
- Carefully cut the cake in half using a bread knife into two similar height disks
- Spread the cheese & jam mix evenly in the bottom half
- Put the top back
- Optionally spread the icing sugar
The average cake weight is 450 g and it has on average 1,100 KCal resulting in 240 KCal per 100g. A typical portion is 1/8th of the cake and it will be 137.5 KCal.